Every time I travel I take a select few items in hand luggage that don’t ever change, whether it be a work trip, city break or just a holiday with Luce. These items always come, it doesn’t matter if it is a beach, city or adventure break I will have these items with me in my bag.
I got the idea for this short blog piece from some of the people I follow on twitter and I will be adding another post on what I travel with in terms of camera gear as I know that it is something I look for when travelling, or some advice on what setup might be my next choice depending on the type of trip and location. That is a format I have seen a lot of people post what their “essentials” are and so will share mine in the future.
When you read “highlife” magazine on British airways flights it shows you a “celebrity or person of interest” and what they take with them. I really liked this format so this is my version along with some justification as to why they are included:
So when you look at the items I have it looks pretty tech heavy, which I agree with totally but that allows me to capture or share my experiences whether I am in a field in the back end of Scotland or an idyllic island paradise in the Maldives. Not to mention in the modern age it means that i have all the tools to adapt to most situations, be it a flight delay or some time to kill exploring a new destination.
Staring top left and working down:
- Power banks: When you travel with a lot of tech and travel often these are an absolute must, I usually travel with two of them which means I can fully charge my phone and another device at the same time, or just my phone three times from 0%. I have found from personal experience that Anker have a great range of products and suit my needs perfectly, not to mention a long guarantee on them which suits me perfectly. Anker Powerbanks
- Portable Wi-Fi: So this Huawei mifi unit is a great piece of kit, small and easy to use which is ideal when travelling a lot. It means when landing in a foreign country I just need to find a PAYG sim card and I am always accessible, more importantly I can always find information on locations. It has also proven priceless on some windfarms I have visited for work as it’s a different network to my other phones so I have some connectivity for work. Portable Mi-Fi
- Syncwire multi USB adapter: This has lightened my packing significantly! It means I have one adapter for plugging in 4 USB devices, comes with a US and EU adapter and works with all USB devices, no more hunting around in hotel rooms for more than one plug which can be accessible. Syncwire
- Olympus TG4 Tough camera: This camera not only has great specs but can take a beating and keep working which when you are travelling and working is very important. Amazon link to TG4
- Joby Gorilla pod: This hard-working piece of kit is not only durable but perfect for shooting at night without having to worry about professional tripods Joby – Gorillapod
- The Anker waterproof speaker: incredibly diverse speaker and functions in any weather which was the main reason for purchase for me. Any speaker that has decent quality and can survive a flash flood is a winner in my book, whether it be on a beach in S.E Asia or taking on an unexpected shower during British “Summertime”! Anker – Speakers
- SIGG water bottle: No matter where you go having a water bottle is crucial and SIGG are the best at providing these. They get beaten and dented but keep on going. In the fight against plastic pollution this should now be an essential for anyone who travels regularly, not to mention retains temperature whether its hot or cold so useful for all climates. Sigg water bottles
- Sony MDXR Wireless headphones: Good wireless headphones for a reasonable price, the main reason for wireless for me is so that there is no untangling of wires to listen to your music, getting caught up on bag straps or having to throw a jacket on if it starts to rain. These or equivalents should serve you well
- Note Book: Simply for all those moments you need to write something down quickly, be it a translation to get you back to your hotel, the name of a dish you have just tried or a favorite restaurant. Selection from Paperchase
- Mechanical Pencil: Writes in any weather, lead is easily replaceable and don’t have to worry about ink exploding in my pocket or bag.
- Oakley sunglasses: Personal preference on these and will depend on destination for most, as i do a fair amount of driving for work, its more being prepared for those moments of sun that are unexpected. These would be my next pair
- Microsoft surface pro4: This is a new addition this year but i don’t think i could go back to a normal laptop now having had one of these. Powerful, versatile, great for photo editing, capturing ideas, organising files, killing time and all in a very smart-looking, lightweight compact package. Microsoft Store
- Compression cubes: Another new addition but once you have used them for packing and organising you realise how much easier these simple travel tasks become. Good for compartmentalizing your bags especially for trips with multiple stop overs. Compression Cubes